Steaming broccoli florets helps them maintain their nutrients; adding them to soup with olive oil, pine nuts, and garlic cloves makes a complete hearty meal.
Whole Living, January/February 2011
- 1 head broccoli (1 pound), cut into florets, stems thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- One 15oz can cannellini beans, drained
- 1.5 pts chicken stock
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon pine nuts, toasted
- 1/2 ounce shaved Parmesan, for serving
- Steam broccoli florets and stems until tender and bright green, about 3 minutes. Let cool slightly.
- Heat oil in a medium pot over medium heat. Saute onion and garlic until translucent, about 6 minutes.
- Add beans and stock and bring mixture to a simmer.
Remove from heat and add broccoli; puree in batches in a blender until smooth. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Garnish each bowl with broccoli florets, toasted pine nuts, and shaved Parmesan.