Inspired by my recent visit to Thailand and my love of Thai food and all things coconutty, I have included a delicious recipe for a vegetarian coconut based curry spiced for the western palate!
- 500g sweet potatoes peeled and cut into large chunks
- 3 tbsp coconut oil
- 1 red onion, chopped
- 2 garlic clives, crushed
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 large red chilli, deseeded and chopped
- 400mls coconut milk
- 250g washed baby spinach
- Salt to taste
- Cook the sweet potato in a large pan of boiling water for 8 10 mins, then drain and put to one side
- Heat the coconut butter in a saucepan, add the onion, garlic and turmeric and fry over a gentle heat, stirring often for about 3 minutes. Stir in the chilli and fry for another 2 minutes.
- Add the coconut milk, stir well and simmer for 3-4 minutes until the coconut milk has thickened slightly. Stir in the cooked sweet potatoes and a pinch of salt, and then cook the curry for a further 5 minutes.
- Stir in the spinach, cover the pan and simmer gently for 2-3 minutes or until the spinach has wilted and the curry has heated through. Best eaten with chapattis or wholegrain rice.