Inspired by my recent visit to Vietnam and the variety of fresh foods on offer, one of my favourites was this crunchy flavoursome, sweet, sour and salty green mango salad. Don’t worry about sourcing green mango’s, just use a mango that isn’t ripe from supermarkets.
- 1 large unripened mango (about 1.5 pounds with the seed), julienned – or grated
- 1 carrot (mainly for color), julienned
- 1 cup mooli or white radish, julienned
- 1 cucumber, seeded and julienned
- 225g medium shrimps/prawns – raw
- Red onion, raw and thinly sliced (optional)
- Herbs & Garnish (all optional)
- Deep fried shallots – grated shallots quickly fried in a little oil – delicious
- Roasted peanuts, crushed
- Mint,Thai basil, coriander, stems removed and roughly chopped
- 75mls fish sauce
- 75mls lime juice
- 75mls water
- Sliced Thai chilies – optional depending on how spicy you like it
- Prepare the mango and veggies.
- Peel mangoes and veggies.
- Remove seeds from cucumber and mango, then julienne everything.
- Make a quick pickle.
- If you don’t already have pickled mooli and carrots ready, make a quick pickle. Mix equal parts water, vinegar, and sugar in a large bowl, enough to cover the veggies.
- Add carrots and mooli to the bowl for 40 minutes.
- Add cucumbers to the bowl for the last 20 minutes. Drain when ready to mix the salad.
- Prepare the shrimps/prawns
- Bring a pot of water with 1 tsp salt to a boil on high heat.
- Add shrimps/prawns until they turn slightly pink, then drain and put over ice to prevent it from cooking further.
- Toss & garnish
- Mix ingredients for the salad dressing.
- Mix all ingredients, add dressing to taste, and serve and enjoy immediately